Recipe: Clean Homemade Muesli Bars
Fruit sourdough toast with butter, bacon and egg roll, avo on toast.... they seem like a good idea at that time, to go with your morning coffee. These temptations are hard to resist, especially when you are still semi - asleep early in the morning! Whilst they aren't extremely unhealthy, it can cost quite a dent to your bank account.
A breakfast combo (Coffee & breakfast of choice) - $8 to $10
Multiply by 5 days
$40 - $50 bucks a week just on breakfast during the week!
That excludes the additional dent when you have a debrief session with your girlfriends over brunch on the weekend. Weekend brunches typically costs around $20 a pop (damn you and your cost of living Sydney!), that's almost $100 a week on breakfast!
You don't need to be accountant to know that that's quite an exorbitant cost for breakfast alone! Hence, I try to prep my breakfast on the weekend as well and allow 1 buy-your-breakfast-day per week! My homemade cinnamon granola clusters has always been a favourite - however, it can be pretty hard to consume on the go (you need a table and utensils with almond milk or yogurt!).
How do you make cinnamon granola clusters portable? Homemade muesli bars it is!
These homemade muesli bars taste as good as the store bought ones (if not better) but less the nasties and preservatives! That means you get a nutrient-packed breakfast at a fraction of a price and most importantly, guilt free!
You're welcome ;)
CLEAN HOMEMADE MUESLI BARS
Clean Homemade Muesli Bars
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup raw walnuts, chopped roughly
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (grill fan mode)
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and fold through
- Pour the mixture onto a baking tray* (lined with baking paper) and shape them into a rectangular bar (or square if you wish)
- Bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, flipping it halfway (be extremely careful with this step as you do not want to deconstruct your bars!)
- Allow the bars to cool and slice them into even pieces.
- Wrap them into individual packaging and store up to a week!
* You may use a baking dish instead
It's super easy to make, take 10 minutes to prepare and you can enjoy a cuppa whilst the muesli bars is doing its thang in the oven! 30 minutes later, you have a week's worth of brekkie! OR even better, fit this into your meal prep schedule so it saves you extra baking time! Wrapping these muesli bars into individual serve also means you can just grab and go in the morning and save you some pennies!
The EPIC Meal Prep Ninjas Checklist
Grab your FREE epic checklist to get you sorted for meal prepping. Learn how to shop once, prep & cook once and enjoy healthy & delicious! Meal prep makes the dream works. x