Meal Prep 101 - Make Ahead Meal Plan & Recipe #1
If you have been following Eat This Burn That for the past few months, you would have known by now that I am a strong believer of meal prepping. Most often than not, I would eat it as a meal on its own whilst prepping the food (Eg: when I am cooking on Saturday night, I make an extra serve for dinner that night) OR I turn a date night in cooking session into a meal prep session!
Today, I will be sharing with you my entire meal prep/ cooking session and the order in which I got everything done on Saturday night. #MealPrepMondays
Meal Prep Mondays - Make Ahead Meal Plan & Recipe #1
Order of prepping is as follows:
(Start with marinating, grilling/ roasting then stir fry)
1. "Marinate" the eggplant to help reduce the bitterness of the eggplant.
Eggplant - "salting" them to remove bitterness
2. Whilst the eggplant is being "marinated", start working on your chicken breast.
3. Now that all the marinating is done, time to get the sweet potatoes as they can take a while! I chopped them up into chips shape for the ones I was eating on the night itself and rectangular cubes for my lunchbox during the week.
4. Next, work on the cauliflower rice and all ingredients required for the "cauliflower fried rice" before cooking them.
Meal Prep - Cauliflower Fried Rice
5. <An hour should have passed by now>, time to work on the egg plant. My initial plan was to make some stuff egg plant but it didn't quite turn out well. =/ So, I ended up with cooked curry egg plant flesh. But hey, cooking is all about hit and miss right!
6. The batch 1 sweet potato chips should be ready to serve now. Put in the second batch into the oven and let it roast whilst you enjoy your dinner!
7. Time for some dinner platter #flatlay - sweet potato chips, curry egg plant and leftover char grilled corn! Bon Appetite!
8. Now that you have fed yourself, time to work on the final leg of this meal prep session - the chicken bewbs!
Meal Prep - Honey Soy Chicken
9. Portion and pack them away into individual containers and FINITO!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Honey Soy Chicken breast, cauliflower fried rice & curry egg plant
Meal Prepping ahead of the week is the best way to stay ahead of the game. Here is a detailed instruction on how to prepare a week off or 6 servings worth of Roasted sweet potatoes, honey soy chicken breast, cauliflower fried rice & curry egg plant!
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1.5 cauliflower florets
- 1.5 whole garlic
- 1 bunch of shallots
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2tbsp turmeric
- Honey Soy Chicken
- Approximately 1.5kg of Free Range chicken bewbs
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp natural honey
- Curry Eggplants
- Olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp curry powder
- 2 large eggplants
- Slice the eggplants into half and cover them with generous amount of salt and leave it on for at least an hour.
- Slice the chicken breasts into cubes and toss it in a huge freezer bag, along with the honey and dark soy sauce. Massage them thoroughly to ensure each cube is coated with the flavours Let it marinate in the fridge for at least an hour (or until you are ready to cook. Best left marinated overnight).
Cooking the Cauliflower Rice & Sides
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees celcius. Chop up the sweet potatoes, cover them with olive oil and lay them on the baking tray lined with baking paper. Put them in the oven and roast them for approximately 50 minutes to an hour at 180 degrees celcius - Flipping them around halfway. I cook them in 2 batches, the "chips" and the "cubes".
- Chop the cauliflower florets into pieces before putting into the shredder (or food processor). I start with cauliflower florets, then moving to garlic then shallots as the latter two ingredients have really strong smell.
- Saute one whole garlic and shallots in olive oil until fragrant. Then add in the "cauliflower rice" and mix everything together. Slowly add in the turmeric, ground cumin and some garlic salt. Stir fry it for approximately 5 minutes. Set aside.
- For the curry eggplant, saute half a garlic (approximately 4-5 cloves) in olive oil before adding in the egg plant flash. Then add in the curry powder and 2 cups of water. Turn the heat down and let the water reduced until the eggplant becomes pasty. (You may add some salt & pepper to taste. But since the cauliflower rice has already been seasoned with garlic salt and curry powder contains salt content so I left it out on the eggplant)
- Into the oven the batch 2 sweet potatoes go!
Cook the chicken
- Heat up your grill pan with a generous amount of sesame oil (there is 1.5kg worth of chicken bewbs we are talking here!), sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds and stir fry the marinated chicken bewbs until cooked!
1.5 cauliflower florets, 1.5kgs chicken boobs, 2 large sweet potatoes, 2 eggplants made me 5 servings of full balanced meal (4 for myself and 1 for the boy!), 1 serving of extra cauliflower rice(not shown) and 3 servings of chicken bewbs (packed in freezer bag) - all under $50!
Need more reason for start meal planning and meal prepping today? GET ONTO IT!
I will start posting more #MealPrepMondays posts in the future! IF you have any questions around meal planning and meal prep or need any help or motivation to get started, feel free to drop me an email on hello [at] eatthisburnthat [dot] com OR follow me on Instagram and Facebook OR just leave me a comment below! I will try my best to assist you!
Happy meal prepping!
The EPIC Meal Prep Ninjas Checklist
Grab your FREE epic checklist to get you sorted for meal prepping. Learn how to shop once, prep & cook once and enjoy healthy & delicious! Meal prep makes the dream works. x